May 22, 2009

Scrubs: Hit me baby...one more time

Similar to the old, impoverished woman near the beginning of Monty Python's Holy Grail, everybody's all-time favorite sitcom is still screeching and claiming "I'm not dead yet" from the bottom of its swollen lungs.

In an effort to jump start ABC's Better Off Ted, the television network has decided to renew Scrubs for an 18-episode ninth season in order to continue the pairing with other ABC comedies next season. This is happening despite this blog's valient attempt to bury the show after its perfect season-ending finale two weeks ago. Personally, I'm confused, angry, sad, thrilled, disappointed, ecstatic and furious all-in-one. It's like I just started my period. I'm glad the show is coming back as you always wish the things you love never end, but I missed the announcement when Scrubs was suddenly transformed into the comedic replica of ER. It was just a month ago when ER was FINALLY killed and murdered off the air and everybody's sentiment was that it went about 57 years too long. Scrubs appears to be headed toward a similar fate.

IGN's Eric Goldman contacted ABC to get the scoop on the renewal of Scrubs, and ABC officials said, although they receive a lot of money through syndication of the show, the decision to renew wasn't financial. I was gonna call B.S.F.S.B.S. (that's short for Ball State Fans Shouting Bull Shit), but there is some positive news with the renewal. Creative force Bill Lawrence is returning for the next season. Zach Braff and Sarah Chalke have each signed on for six episodes. That could be interesting. ABC President Steve McPhearson told IGN:
"Zach's in six [for sure], but maybe more. We haven't confirmed it's the first six. It may be across the first 13 [episodes]."
But that's about it for the good news. No word yet on the return of the Janitor, as he's currently involved in a new sitcom. Other characters are unknowns as well. The other giant elephant in the room is the new concept of the show. McPhearson said the show could go one of two ways:
"Yeah, one is a complete departure from Sacred Heart and one is at Sacred Heart. [Bill] is actually going to pitch me both ideas pretty shortly, when he's ready. He's been pretty busy doing the pilot [Cougar Town], but once he pitches them we'll make a decision and we'll get that out there so that people know what to expect."
Leaving Sacred Heart? Why even keep the name Scrubs then? I still think that losing the foreign-looking guy to Parks and Recreation was a major blow to continuing the show by following the interns. But, maybe they can find another hilarious intern to take his place. The key will be whether Dr. Cox, Janitor, Carla and Turk return to the show (along with the countless secondary characters). I can't think of a single reason why any of them would come back (Ok, one reason...the quan), but you really need all four to keep me interested. I don't know. I have a strange feeling that this would be like the Beatles continuing after 1970 instead of disbanding on top of their game. There would still be a few good years and songs left along with one great comeback tour and then the band would release a "Disco" album in 1975. And that's not good for anybody.

On to the links...

2 minutes...2-ah
I need to post a new story on my Pacers blog today, but until then here's a link to my latest post on the mock drafts. Click on the link and make me some money people. You're my only hope.

It's Beetles...with an A
If you recall, I talked some major talk the other day about the upcoming release of the Beatles Trivial Pursuit game. I was confident enough to challenge anybody in the world. Consider that challenge rescinded. Beatles' blogger Steve Marinucci posted six of the "harder" questions from the game this week. Wow. I apparently know nothing. I knew two of them. The other four, I couldn't even give a guess. Here's the link to the questions...good luck.

Hello, Mr. Radio
In celebration of this weekend's race...enjoy!

My Sox are White
Fantasy baseball is supposed to be hard right? Maybe it's just the competition, but my dominance in the Err Dizz's league continues. How? I have no clue. I can't name 80 percent of my team. Here, let's try: Santana, Greinke (spelling?), Buehrle (spelling?), Bruce, Lincecum, Peavy, Gonzalez (there has to be one on every team) and some catcher named Nipples (after clarification, his name is actually Napoli, but I really like Nipples so we're going with that). I'm winning a tight race this week, but a victory will keep me in a tie for first place with a 6-1 record. Go team of people I don't know!

Mrs. Thug Mrs.
A couple of Idol links for you today: Rolling Stone tells us what we learned from this season and now Clay Aiken says he doesn't like Adam Lambert...shocking. Go Anoop! Also, check Bo's link below.

Info for Bo
Yer boys were at the Lakers game last night.

Turn up the Aperture!
Here's an article that talks about where the future of photography is headed and what happens to photographers when they get there. Here's the link.

You tube...no, you're a tube
I now have new goals as a future parent.

No comments: