April 6, 2009

Yep, He Brought the Lightning

Jesus. Effin. Christ.

If you happened to catch a glimpse of the Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels match at Wrestlemania 25 last night, you definitely uttered those three words (in no particular order) at some point during the epic 45-minute psycho match that pitted the two greatest Wrestlemania performers against one another.

Some other phrases you potentially uttered were: "That was awesome", "I can now die in peace", "Where am I?", "How did he survive that?", "Is this Heaven?", "[speechless]"

The Undertaker, who brought an unparalleled 16-0 record into the night, against Mr. Wrestlemania, Shawn Michaels. I expected big things, almost as big as Santino's new bosums. Bo frequently asked me if I was ready for this match to actually happen. I nodded with the expression of a 12-year old boy being molested by his 24-year hot chick teacher: I was scared, happy and I felt a tingling inside me that I had never felt before me. This match was going to be special.

But nothing really could have prepared me for what transpired. I thought the epic Undertaker-Edge match at SummerSlam last July was the peak of my wrestling viewing, as I figured nothing could topple the sight of the Undertaker throwing Edge threw the ring and then lighting him on fire. But last night's match was ridiculous, particluarly for a match that didn't involve a single ladder, chair, steel cage or Shawn Michael's wife.

You can read a step-by-step rehash of the match here, so I'm not gonna bore myself with that. The only problem with the match was that it happened before the two "Main Events" and it not only left the two participants absolutely exhausted, but the audience had nothing left either. Therefore it completely crushed the match that involved the love triangle between Edge-Big Show-Vickie and John Cena, and then the big match of Triple H vs. Orton left way more to be desired (how do the McMahon's not show up in this match? How?). I was amazed that I just didn't care after the Undertaker-Michaels match. They should have just shown the replay twice to end the pay-per-view and I would've been thrilled for that.

The night was full of surprises (CM Punk winning the MIB, JBL retiring, and MOB in the BIC with the JBS) but I can't wait to spend the $25 on the Wrestlemania 25 DVD next year just so I can watch the Undertaker rise to 17-0 in the match of the decade. Now I've got to come back down to Earth to watch the WWE Draft next week and hopefully witness Batista's return. After that, it's time to book tickets for March 28, 2010 in the desert of Arizona...WrestleMania 26. It's already in my cell phone calendar, and there's only been two events ever put into my cell phone calendar with one being my wedding; and the other is WrestleMania 26.

In the words of the Nature Boy...Wooooooooooooooooooooooo!