January 28, 2009

Be My Snuggie Bear

If you've ever flipped on the tube in the early morning to ESPN or to an afternoon or evening broadcast on NBAtv, then I know you've seen a certain, special commercial for the world's greatest blanket/dress/robe/cult garment ever created -- the Snuggie.

The first time I saw the commercial I was dying of hysteria (don't worry, I've made a stellar recovery) especially after I saw the family cheering in their Snuggie's at the sporting event and then the foursome camped around the fire as they charred their marshmallows in the warmth of their fleece (fact check) coverings. I see this commercial at least 832 times per day. It's ridiculous.

But finally the Snuggie got some much needed media attention in the USA Today, which ran a story about the now cult following of the Snuggie. The parallels between the commerical of a "cult Snuggie family" and it's now real-life following are unmissable. Apparently there are now countless Facebook pages devoted to the Snuggie as well as an outpouring of YouTube videos. I've posted a cool link to a "re-done" commercial for the Snuggie. This is how it should run on TV every day. So here is my simple salute to the Snuggie, a robe that I see every day yet will never wear.

2 comments:

Tom said...

That vid is fucking hysterical!

Kuddos!

Anonymous said...

Okay so I saw that commercial a long time ago and thought it was absolutely ridiculous. I'm glad that you found the better improved commercial...much better than the Snuggie. I think I want the "What the &@*^ Blanket"