September 9, 2009

You Say It's Beatles Day? Well, It's My Beatles Day Too, Yeah!

It's Beatles Day.

You all know this, so it comes as no surprise that I'm celebrating more hardcore than Jenna Jameson. I wanted to post something on this here blog everytime that I sat at a computer today, but the brilliant technicians at Comcast (what a bunch of oxymorons) decided that would be an awful idea and had my internet and television turned off when I awoke this fine morning.

My father and I are waiting for our order of the mono box set, but I was unsure as to how I would handle acquiring the stereo versions of the remastered cd's. Well, it turns out that I was required to read a book for my education class this morning. Unfortunately, I did not own the book. Therefore, I needed to jolt over to my friendly neighborhood Barnes & Noble and pick up a copy when they opened their doors at 9 a.m. It just so happened that they were playing the stereo remasters on the loudspeaker. Of course, Barnes & Noble doesn't have stereo speakers, so all of the sound was shifted to the left side, negating the vocals to the background while leaving Ringo's drumming to steal the show. It sounded awful. Needless to say, I couldn't let B&N give me a bad impression of the Beatles new cd's. That just wasn't going to happen.

So I trotted back to the CD section in order to pick up just one stereo version that I could blast in the Suzuki on the way down to my classes in B-town. I wish I could say that the choice was easy. I stood in front of the Beatles kiosk for roughly an eight-day-week as I pondered which to buy. I didn't want any pre-1967 albums, as I wanted to wait to hear the mono remasters first, so that automatically threw out my two favorite albums, Rubber Soul and Revolver. But then the struggle began.

I was set on picking up Sgt. Pepper just to hear "A Day In The Life" in it's full glory. But since I was only picking up one CD, I needed more than just 45 minutes of music and 13 songs. So, I heroically paired it down to two -- The Beatles (White Album) or Abbey Road. Either "Come Together" or "Back in the U.S.S.R." Either "Something" or "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". It was "Because" or "Happiness is a Warm Gun". Even Ringo got into the action with "Octopus's Garden" or "Don't Pass Me By".

I've got to be honest, it was pretty lame reason why I ended up buying Abbey Road. It was for the cover. If I'm buying only one CD, and I'm showing it off like a newborn child, then I want it to have a colorful cover. The White Album doesn't necessarily do that for me. You wouldn't show pictures of a baby with no face would you? Well, maybe you would. Don't get me wrong, the album cover is genius (I mean, how much more white can be? None, none more white). But it was the four Beatles walking across that screen that sent me to the counter with a brand spankin' new Beatles CD, along with some book that I didn't read for class.

So that's how my day started. I'm hoping to sling a few more posts on here before the day is over, because I know that all of you, especially those who receive the e-mail updates, are absolutely enthralled by this whole experience. Don't worry folks, I won't let you down.

You Tube...no, you're a tube

No comments: