August 22, 2008

This drink is on me

God bless our college presidents!

Well, wait..not so fast. If you’ve kept up with your reading lately, you’ll have noticed that more than 100 university presidents have signed off on a petition to bring the drinking age from 21 to 18. IU president McRobbie has said he would support it, while our illustrious leader at BSU, Jo Ann Gora, has said he is opposed to it. I never thought I would say, or write this but I’m siding with Gora on this one…go ahead, someone punch me, shoot me, tie me up in a bag and dump my body in the nearest creek next to that rubber Big Foot.


I’m all for lowering the drinking age..but for the right reasons. Let’s say you want it lowered because people 18 are already allowed to vote, fight in a war and be prosecuted like an adult. That’s good reasoning. The college presidents are saying they want it lowered to prevent binge drinking at their campuses. That’s NOT good reasoning. Obviously they didn’t attend college during the last six years, but luckily for their sakes, I have. So who better to know what would curvetail binge drinking?. Me you silly rabbit.


First of all, everyone binge drinks in college. It’s a deep, deep part of the culture now. Sometimes you just become an alcoholic and then you don’t have worry about binge drinking on the weekends. But for the rest of us, there was that one night per week where we got sloshed, bombed, monkey drenched and violated by beer. The college presidents are taking an extremely easy way out on this by blaming binge drinking on the age law. This is much bigger than that. Second, when my friends and I all turned 21, the binge drinking didn’t stop, it got even worse (better in my opinion, but hey, I’m not a saint!). We did it more because there was no chance of us getting arrested for being underage. The college presidents who signed off on this are looking for the easy way out. Don’t let them fool you that they’re doing this for the right reasons.


On to the links…


A friend of this blog, Mr. Philippsen, has finally gone back to blogging about his recent photo opportunities and conquests. You can access his blog on the links column on the right side of the page. If you can't do that simple task, find a rock, hit your head with it and try again. Repeat if necessary. Also to your right is a sample picture from his blog, which he apparently photographed.


2 minutes…2-ah

The Pacers announced some preseason dates this week that involve them playing at the State Fairgrounds and in Fort Wayne. But the bigger news is the window is closing to sign Danny Granger to an extension. The Pacers need to get this done and Hoops World does a good job of explaining why.


It’s Beetles…with an A

People continue to spend outrageous sums of money on Beatles memorabilia. The first signed contract of the Beatles with manager Brian Epstein should go for around $500,000. I wonder if my credit limit goes that high....


Mrs. Thug Mrs.

Just five days after the season premiere of season 4, LC is saying the show is nearing an end. What will do with our Monday nights from now on?


Hello Mr. Radio

In the honor of US softball blowing up this week, here's Ms. Finch for ya.


Info for Bo

I'm sure you saw this, but I just loved seeing that Mr. Kennedy might be leaving the WWE. Good riddance I say.


You tube…no, you’re a tube

If you've loved watching the olympic track competition then you'll love this video. Nothing is better than watching totally exhausted athletes try to give an interview 30 seconds after running the race of their lives.



http://view.break.com/557942 - Watch more free videos



2 comments:

Tom said...

Honestly, one of the best blogs ever! Not only do I get Jenny, but talk of the Hills and Bigfoot?

It's too good to be true.

Make sure to be on the look out for my "roofing blog" that I'll write up once I'm done roofing my house.

Phil Friend said...

You can't use Joel's photo...that's stealing!