October 8, 2008

Dig Out Your Soul (******* out of **)

Even though I've had an (il)legal copy of Oasis' new album "Dig Out Your Soul" for the past month now, I wanted to wait until I had the real thing in my hands (that's what she said) before I gave my thoughts about it. Well, being an Oasis freak I obviously loved the album (hence the 2,000 stars out of two in the headline). So I'm biased. But the album is getting great reviews all over the place, including a really awesome American review in USA Today on Tuesday which gave the album 3 1/2 stars out of 4, while accompanying it with a good article about the band.

Rolling Stone, linked somewhere in another post below, also gave a good review even though it was negative. To clarify, a good American review doesn't focus solely on these three things: 1) How the record compares to "Wonderwall"; 2) The fact Noel and Liam hate each other; and 3) the fact that Oasis is ripping off the Beatles. These are essentials for reviewers who don't know jack shite about the band. Well the brothers haven't fought openly for more than 10 years now; they'll never record another Wonderwall and thank God they've moved on to other things; and Christ! It's been 14 years now, they're not ripping off the Beatles anymore, they're ripping off Oasis. How long does it take for a band to given credit for their own sound even if that sound was originally taken from other bands? Seriously, the Beatles were influenced heavily by Buddy Holly but you didn't read some idiot trying to convince readers that Sgt. Pepper was some kind of take on Peggy Sue.

That being said...Oasis totally ripped off the Beatles on this album. I'm just kidding, but this is seriously the band's answer to my favorite Beatles record of all time -- Revolver. Oasis has been trying re-make that record for the past decade, and they've failed every time. It's hard to live up to the greatest masterpiece ever recorded. But this time, they got as close as they'll probably ever get. Let's clarify, first of all, that we're talking John Lennon's Revolver and not The Beatles' Revolver. Oasis isn't copying Yellow Submarine and Good Day Sunshine here. They're going full force at doing Tomorrow Never Knows, She Said She Said and I'm Only Sleeping. The mesmerizing sounds of Lennon's voice (who by the way celebrates a birthday today) and the instruments are very similar to the sounds on Dig Out Your Soul.

Another similarity is the fact that I have no fucking clue what single will be released after The Shock of the Lightning. That's because all the other songs deviate from the usual Oasis sound of hit single. These songs are all go off on different tangents, yet they sound great while doing it. Same thing with the songs on Revolver. When I tell people that's my favorite Beatles record, usually I get the reaction that they've never heard of the record or any songs on it. Everybody knows 1, Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper, but a commoner doesn't know Rubber Soul or Revolver. Yellow Submarine and Eleanor Rigby were the only singles on the record and for the first time for the Beatles, the other songs weren't meant to be hit singles. Oasis has done the same thing here. Also, both records are the band's seventh outing, so if you're superstitious or gay, that might be interesting to you.

Anyways, I wanted to go through track-by-track just to get my initial reactions to the songs down in the stone that is called blogging. Just an observation. I'm going to list them from least-favorite to favorite, even though there isn't a song I don't like. This is going to be difficult, time-consuming and painful (again, that's what she's said way too often).

Ain't Got Nothing -- This is the one song I feel like I've already heard before, which was Liam's The Meaning of Soul from Don't Believe The Truth. Driving beat, cheap lyrics and a "in your face" personality.

The Nature of Reality
-- For being athiest, the Gallagher's sure do write about God and religion a lot on this record. Like a lot.

(Get Off Your) High Horse Lady
-- This song certainly sounds like it could be Lennon on Revolver.

The Shock of the Lightning -- The band's first single, which debuted at #2 in England, isn't in my top five songs on the album. That's saying something. Not sure what, but it's saying something.

The Turning
-- Seriously, this is the most difficult thing I've done in like 15 minutes (anyone know anything about Middle English literature? Wanna do a 6-page paper about bodily appetite and how it's reflected in poetry from the late-medieval period? Yeah, exactly, my soul was sucked dry just writing that prompt).

To Be Where There's Life
-- This is a very interesting song. It's mesmerizing and has some fantastic lyrics. Gem continues to impress with his lyric writing. Ya know, CCR just bombed into hell when Fogerty decided to let his brother and others start writing songs. Luckily for Oasis, this has made them 50 times better.

Soldier On
-- Read above. Liam's songs are fantastic as well. Really though, if you had written Wonderwall, Don't Look Back in Anger, Live Forever and Champagne Supernova, would you let anyone else in your band write songs? Kudos for Noel to know a good song when a bandmate presents one. Of course, after writing all but one of the songs for Standing On The Shoulder of Giants, the bad 2000 album by Oasis, I guess Noel would be more receptive for help. Geezus, I listened to that album the other day. Gas Panic is about all there is worth listening to. Oasis sure has gone from one end of the spectrum to the other in one decade.

Falling Down
-- More Revolver right here. Notice that I'm comparing Oasis to the Beatles and not saying they're ripping the Beatles off. Big difference there. At least that's what I'll keep telling myself.

I'm Outta Time
-- Haunting song. Besides the excerpt of the John Lennon interview that aired two days before he was shot, what an amazing vocal performance by Liam. Definitely one of the best rock vocalists of all-time. Also, the chord progression stolen from Lennon's Jealous Guy means Oasis has now lifted the chords from Imagine (on Don't Look Back in Anger) and Jealous Guy, two of Lennon's most popular solo songs.

Waiting for the Rapture
-- More God stuff. This song, sung by Noel, is all about kicking ass and taking names. This and the last four songs could switch positions at any time. Just so happened this ended up second for this round. Man, Soldier On, Falling Down, I'm Outta Time and Rapture are just on a different level from anything Oasis has done in 12 years. Fantastic!

Bag It Up
-- First song on the album and I knew it was my favorite the first time I heard it. The pre-chorus is absolutely ridiculous. If you're not an Oasis fan or don't think you'll like this record, just download this song and one of the other four I said were amazing. I think you'll be convinced.

Just know that you're not getting the big choruses of (What's the Story) Morning Glory, but you're getting some of the best music I've heard this decade. DISCLAIMER: I think I probably said this when I first heard Don't Believe The Truth (2005) and Heathen Chemistry (2003) so take it for what it's worth. But this album is definitely better than both of those..combined. Trust me, I've got an iTunes playlist to prove it. Anyways, the album is already No. 1 in England and I got the last copy at BestBuy today so maybe it will do some suprising things on the U.S. chart as well.

Oh yeah, and here's the quote of the day. Remember that Noel was recently attacked on stage by a deranged fan and he had broken ribs, thus canceling the Canadian tour. Liam's quote: "It's not nice when you look down and see your brother on the deck," he told Sky News before the show, referring to the assault on Noel. "If it was up to me, I'd have cut his [the attacker's] dick off and made him eat it."

Bam.

On to the links...

2 minutes...2-ah
The first Pacer preseason game was an absolute blast to watch last night. I mean it. It was like being blasted in the face with a V2 Nazi rocket. Nothing like losing by 34 points in the first game of the season when your supposedly making a comeback. Note to Pacers: Don't send out image surveys the day after a game like that. I don't think you'll enjoy my answers.

Some notes from the game: Jarrett Jack reminds me way way too much of Travis Best. He was absolutely out of control all night; T.J. Ford looked good, hopefully he stay healthy; Any player who gets ejected for a bow in his first game is alright by me, kudos to Roy Hibbert; and as Bo said, Mike Dunleavy's outfit was amazing.

It's Beetles..with an A
This egghead says the Beatles were strictly capitalists and not music heroes. Makes sense since they squandered all their money and signed awful contracts that eventually lost them their songs to Michael Effin Jackson. But I digress.

Hello, Mr. Radio
Obviously you missed the disclaimer portion of the last blog entry. Oh well, I'll assume your two-a-day job life is crushing your ability to read. So here's a fancy dancy picture instead. Was this girl ever in yer TComm classes? She is sports reporter Carrie Milbank...Enjoy.

My Sox Are White and Bobsled This!
You both like Franz Ferdinand so here's zome updated news on their third album

Okay, I'm done. Until next time.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I love sports reporters.

Oh, and I'll have to get a copy of that new "Beatles sound" from that band....Oasis, is it?